Monday, April 20, 2009

Metal sculpture








My father is an amazing artist... he doesn't know it or acknowledge it persay, but he is. He makes the most beautiful, 3-D metal work I've ever seen. Recently, I realized that I had a golden opportunity here to apprentice him and asked him to teach me how to make these incredible works of art. He was more than happy to. So, I wanted to share my progress on my first metal sculpture.




This is my first flower and the basis for the rest of the piece.













Phase two, I added another flower and some smaller leaves to add a little more dimention to the piece.


Phase three: Another bloom and three more large leaves. This piece is really starting to fill out!

The welding is proving to be soooo tricky! Especially since I am working on this in segments on weekends when I can visit my parents. I have to be very careful not to ruin any of the previous work on it, or heat the acrylic finish on a completed flower while welding. I'm still not finished quite yet, but I'm really anxious to, I want to get this on my wall!

No comments: