Monday, March 8, 2010

Cute as a button...

My newest project. Little hair clips made from antique buttons.



I loved buttons as a girl. Even as an adult I can appreciate the shiny, delicate intricacies they have to offer. I love that they come in all sizes, shapes, colors, and textures. So, when I had the opportunity to receive an entire box of antique buttons that had belonged to my mother-in-law, Glenda, I took them without question.

In 2007, only a few months before Glenda passed away, she came to visit my husband and I in South Carolina. At the time, she was publishing a newsletter she called Mind Matters, Caring for Someone with Memory Loss. She planned to have a fundraiser where people would sell baked and handmade goods and the proceeds would go to the Alzheimer's Association. In preparation for that sale, I had made several sets of wine charms using buttons and even made cards to mount them on that read 'Cute as a Button'. Unfortunately, Glenda passed away unexpectedly, before we had a chance to sell them. I'll never forget how excited she was about them and how "cool" she thought they were.

I still have the wine charm sets, aside from a few I gave to family members. Haven't been able to bring myself to part with them yet. So it seemed serendipitous, the day my friend Julie held Glenda's dusty black cigar box in her hands. It was bursting at the seams with buttons of every make and model. I didn't know what I would do with my new found treasures at the time I received them. I just knew I would do something with them. In fact, I think I was supposed to do something with them. I think Glenda would be pleased.

No comments: